Current Weather

DeSoto County FEMA Update Hurricane Ian


Where is the FEMA Disaster Recovery Center located?

Walt Brewer Sports Complex​

FEMA Facts

Understanding Your Letter from FEMA

Hurricane Ian survivors who applied for assistance from FEMA will receive a letter from FEMA. The letter will explain your application status and how to respond. The letter will include the amount of any assistance FEMA may provide and information on how the money can be used. If you have questions about your letter, call the disaster assistance helpline at 800-621-3362 to find out what information FEMA needs.

If You Disagree with FEMA’s Decision

You can appeal and provide more information so FEMA can continue processing your application. Call 800-621- 3362 or visit a Disaster Recovery Center to get help filing an appeal.

What do I do if I’m Denied Assistance?

How to Appeal Your FEMA Determination Letter – ENGLISH

How to Appeal Your FEMA Determination Letter – SPANISH

How to Apply for FEMA Assistance

Homeowners and renters in the following counties who had uninsured losses from Hurricane Ian may be eligible for federal disaster assistance. FEMA may provide financial help with temporary housing expenses, basic home repairs, and other essential disaster-related needs.

There are several ways to apply: 1), 2) download the FEMA App for mobile devices, and 3) call

toll-free 800-621-3362. The line is open every day from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET. Help is available in most languages. To view an accessible video on how to apply visit Three Ways to Register for FEMA Disaster Assistance – YouTube.

Privately Owned Access Routes to Your Home

Grants from FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program may be used to repair privately owned access routes such as driveways, roads, bridges, and docks that were damaged by Hurricane Ian if the access affects a dwelling that was owner-occupied. The repair will be to make the access route functional again. To qualify, the resident should meet all the basic eligibility criteria for the program and be the owner of the primary residence.

Personal Property Assistance

If you live in one of the 26 counties eligible for FEMA Individual Assistance and had personal property damaged or destroyed by Hurricane Ian, FEMA may provide financial assistance to repair or replace it. FEMA assistance is limited to basic needs; it will not restore all property lost due to Hurricane Ian. Insurance coverage is the best means to recover after a natural disaster. However, FEMA and State of Florida assistance may repair or replace your disaster-damaged property if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Wells and Septic Systems

For private wells and septic systems, FEMA may reimburse you for the cost of a professional, licensed technician to visit your home and prepare an estimate detailing the necessary repairs or replacement of your disaster-damaged systems. In addition to the technician’s estimate, FEMA may also pay for the actual repair or replacement cost of your septic system or private well, which typically are not covered by homeowner’s insurance.