Listen Live
On Air Now
Tim Howard
12:00pm - 6:00pm

THE NUMBER OF APPLICANTS FOR THE SEAT BEING VACATED BY SARASOTA COUNTY COMMISSIONER SHANNON STAUB HAS INCREASED TO 17, THAT ACCORDING TO THE GOVERNOR’S OFFICE.  STAUB ANNOUNCED LAST MONTH THAT SHE WAS RETIRING AFTER 14 YEARS IN THE DISTRICT THREE SEAT, AND SHE NOW SAYS HER FINAL DAY WILL BE DECEMBER 15TH.  THE REPUBLICAN PARTY OF SARASOTA HELD A MEETING JUST DAYS AFTER HER ANNOUNCEMENT AND ASKED HER TO MOVE THE DATE INTO JANUARY SO THE NEWLY ELECTED GOVERNOR WOULD BE ABLE TO NAME THE REPLACEMENT.  HOWEVER, STAUB SAID SHE WILL NOT CHANGE HER MIND, WHICH MEANS CURRENT GOVERNOR CHARLIE CRIST WILL MAKE THE DECISION.  THAT HAS SPURRED SEVERAL DEMOCRATS TO APPLY FOR THE SEAT, THINKING THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO BE CHOSEN SINCE CRIST LEFT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY TO RUN FOR A US SENATE SEAT AS AN INDEPENDENT.  ACCORDING TO THE SUN, AS OF MONDAY THERE WERE 10 REPUBLICANS, 6 DEMOCRATS, AND ONE PERSON WITH NO PARTY AFFILIATION THAT HAD APPLIED FOR THE POSITION.